Losing a loved one suddenly through a traumatic accident can be devastating. If that loved one was the income provider in the family or had substantial medical expenses prior to their passing, the emotional challenges you face may be compounded by pressing financial stress, anxiety and concerns about an uncertain future.
Ashley Gnyś Personal Injury Law is committed to seeking monetary compensation to help ease the financial pressure associated with your loss so that you can focus on recovering from the emotional turmoil of losing someone that you love. We know that no amount of money can compensate someone for the loss of someone they love, but we have dedicated ourselves to helping people cope with the financial, legal and insurance complications that can accompany the traumatic loss of a close family member.
Ontario’s Family Law Act allows for certain family members of a deceased person to make a claim for compensation for losses they may have suffered as a result of the loss of a loved one in a fatal accident. This law recognizes that there is a need to consider the importance of the role that the deceased person had in an individual’s and/or family’s life and allow for financial compensation.
As well, the law also considers the financial repercussions of a person’s passing and the burden that this places on family members. Persons entitled to recover damages are the deceased person’s spouse, including common-law spouse, children, grand-children, parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters. In the event of a fatal accident caused by the fault of another, family members of the deceased person may be entitled to claim compensation such as:
- Loss of care, guidance and companionship that the deceased person would have provided to their family
• Loss of financial contribution that the person would have made to support their family
• Loss of household services and chores that the person would have done to support their family
• Funeral and burial expenses
• Out-of-pocket expenses reasonably incurred for the benefit of the deceased, travelling expenses during the deceased’s treatment, and either income allowance or the value of the expenses for the provision of nursing, housekeeping or other services provided to the deceased
• Loss of income that family members suffer as a result of the death
At Ashley Gnyś Personal Injury Law, we understand what you are going through and the challenges that lay ahead for you and your family. Contact our office today to get a Free Consultation and an opportunity to discuss your situation with Ashley Gnyś, an experienced personal injury lawyer who will fight for your rights and get you the compensation that you deserve.
If we take your case, you will owe us nothing unless we recover compensation for you.